IT User Manual
Table of Contents
Only forum and mailinglists are open for public registration. For every other service you need an orxonox.net account. If you're a PPS student, ask a teaching assistant. If you're an external user and want to contribute to Orxonox, contact us.
Access to services
With your orxonox.net account, you can use the same login credentials for the following services:
- Trac (wiki and tickets)
- SVN (only required for write-access)
- Email (SMTP-relay and IMAP if you have a mailbox)
- Roundcube (webmail)
- Jenkins (manage build jobs)
It does not work for these services:
- Mailman (mailing lists)
These services are open for public registration, so you can create your own account if you want to use them.
A short note for admins:
- Zabbix: works with the regular orxonox.net account
- Mailman admin: basic authentication works with the regular orxonox.net account, but the mailinglists have individual passwords
- SSH: requries separate ssh key and separate sudoer password
- LDAP: uses separate credentials
There are four different user groups:
|guest||Everyone that is not logged in||Read access to most resources|
|contributor||PPS students and external users||Write access to most resources|
|moderator||PPS teaching assistants and external moderators||Can delete most resources|
|admin||Server administrators||Full access|
Please see the description of the SSP tool below.
An overview of all services on the Orxonox server that are available to regular users (guests and contributors).
Trac (Wiki and Tickets)
Trac is the website that you're looking at right now. It contains a wiki, a ticketing system, and a repository browser.
TODO List of Macros
SVN (Code Repository)
SVN is our central source repository. There are two ways to access SVN:
- Write access: https://svn.orxonox.net/ (requires an orxonox.net account)
- Read only access: http://svn.orxonox.net/
If you're a PPS student, please use write access (HTTPS), otherwise you can't commit your changes to SVN.
As a regular user, you receive a <user>@orxonox.net email address that forwards to your private address. If you're a PPS student, this is usually your <user>@ee.ethz.ch address. You may receive emails from Trac or Jenkins on this address on certain occasions.
If you want to change the email-forwarding to another address (e.g. if you leave ETH), contact us.
Core contributors and PPS teaching assistants may contact us to request:
- A mailbox (i.e. emails are stored on the server instead of being forwarded to another address)
- Additional email aliases (e.g. <fancyname>@orxonox.net)
For mailbox owners we run IMAP and SMTP servers:
- IMAP: mail.orxonox.net, SSL/TLS → port 993 or STARTTLS → port 143
- SMTP: mail.orxonox.net, SSL/TLS → port 465 or STARTTLS → port 587
Users with email forwarding may also use the SMTP server to send email from their orxonox.net address.
In addition to the IMAP and SMTP servers we host roundcube (a webmail software) on our website.
→ You can find Roundcube here: https://www.orxonox.net/roundcube/
Users with email forwarding can also use roundcube - they won't see any incoming email there (because its forwarded), but they can still use it to send emails.
Mailman (Mailing Lists)
Mailman manages our mailing lists.
→ The overview of all lists is located here: https://lists.orxonox.net/mailman/listinfo
They are open for public registration, so you're welcome to sign up to some of the lists:
- orxonox-announce: Important information about Orxonox (low frequency)
- orxonox-dev: Mailing list for developers
- orxonox-commit: Commits in our SVN repositoris (high frequency)
- orxonox-build: Failed builds on our Jenkins server (high frequency)
We use Jenkins to build, test, and analyze Orxonox. It automatically checks out each commit for every branch and sends a notification (to the orxonox-build mailinglist and sometimes also to the committer) if the build or a test fails.
→ You can find it here: https://www.orxonox.net/jenkins/
Some other interesting jobs in Jenkins:
- Code analysis (trunk only): Link
- Clang compiler warnings (trunk only): Link
- Doxygen generator (trunk only): Link with its output here
The forum is open for public registration. If you already have an orxonox.net account, you still need to register in the forum. For that, you can use a different username and password if you like.
→ You can find the forum here: https://forum.orxonox.net/
SSP (Password recovery)
If you forget your password, you can recover your account with the self service password tool. If you have a regular orxonox.net account, it is linked with your private email address. The SSP tool will send a token to this address to recover your account.
→ You can find the SSP tool here: https://www.orxonox.net/password/
In case you have an orxonox.net account with a mailbox and NO forwarding to an external address, you can't recover your account by yourself. In this case you have to contact us to reset your password.
If you have a question or an issue regarding our IT services, feel free to contact an administrator. You can contact us here:
- Contact mailinglist: contact@…
- Orxonox Forum: http://forum.orxonox.net/
- Direct mail: email@example.com