Orxonox is a fast-paced action game, focusing on spacecrafts, thrilling duels, and impressive worlds. Apart from the space shooter mode, Orxonox features also a first-person shooter mode which allows the player to leave the spacecraft in order to explore the worlds by foot. Orxonox includes both a single-player campaign with an epic story and a multi-player part that allows player to fight their friends in different gametypes like deathmatch, capture the flag, and many more.
The year is 2102. The universe is still expanding, stars and galaxies adorn the skies of the planets all over the universe. Supernovas send their exploding flashes through the infinite wideness. Black holes suck in beams of light and the sun of the solar system is still shining down on Earth and Mars. But it's not like nothing has changed... read more
Even though this is not usual anymore today, we started this project by programming our own game engine. We did this because we wanted to understand how games work. You can read more about the old engine features here.
After a first working version of Orxonox we changed route and switched to Ogre to enable Orxonox to thrive from the knowledge of a big open source development community. More details about the current development state can be found here.
- Status: Alpha
- Intended Audience: Gamers
- Natural Language: English
- Operating System: Linux, Windows (MacOS X, we're working on it...)
- Programming Language: C++ (lua and tcl for scripting)
- Libraries: Ogre, CEGUI, Bullet, OpenAL, OIS, ENet, and more
- Licence: GNU General Public Licence (GPL), Creative Commons
Orxonox is an open source project that started in February 2004. At the moment we are about 20 active developers mainly from the ETH Zurich and other Swiss universities. Our goal is to create a funny and exciting 3D action game. In fact Orxonox shall become the most furious 3D action game the open source game community has ever seen!
Orxonox is also a part of the optional bachelor course program at the ETHZ ITET departement in form of a PPS: Every semester new students learn how to work on Orxonox using open source tools. Here you can see the course program of this and the last semesters.
You can contact us in many different ways, here is a short list
- Orxonox General Email: contact@…
- Orxonox Forum
- IRC: #orxonox on irc.orxonox.net ( webclient)
- Announce Maillinglist: orxonox-announce@… ( subscribe)
- Development Mailinglist: orxonox-dev@… ( subscribe)
- Commit Mailinglist: orxonox-commit@… ( subscribe)
- Tickets Mailinglist: tickets@… ( subscribe)
Who are we?
Check out the credits page!